February 24, 2017

Genre Sampler

It Did Not End the Way I Expected


By Terrie Bickel, bookkeeper and YA assistant at Bremen Public Library

My son and I recently read Everyone Loves Bacon, by Kelly DiPucchio, a story about Bacon and how his popularity goes to his head. It is a book that has a dark surprise ending that made us chuckle. That got me thinking of all the other books we have read with endings that appeal to our twisted sense of humor.

A long-standing favorite in our house is Tadpole’s Promise, by Tony Ross. It is a story about a tadpole, obviously, and a caterpillar, whose friendship does not end well. We have also laughed over Mr. Wolf’s Pancakes, by Jan Fearnly, My Lucky Day, by Keiko Kasza, and That is NOT a Good Idea!, By Mo Willems. All have basically the same premise, each told a slightly different way, yet all funny. Wolves, by Emily Gravett and I Want my Hat Back, by Jon Klassen can also be added to this list.

Another book in this category we really enjoy is Carnivores, by Aaron Reynolds. This is a tale about a lion, a shark, and a wolf who wish to try and change the other animals’ perspectives of them. An added bonus to this book is that the illustrations are fantastic!

One last book I will put on the list is Barnacle is Bored, by Jonathan Fenske. This is a brand new addition to our twisted BPL collection that is sure to make you chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment