February 22, 2017

Free Resource

E-Reader Help Available


By Shelli Kauffman, head of adult services at Bremen Public Library


Santa's helpers tend to get a lot of attention and glory in the days leading up to Christmas, but it sure would be helpful if they would stick around for a few days after Christmas to teach us how to use all those new gadgets that they deposited under our trees. If your brand new Kindle, iPad, or other e-reading device is still sitting on the night stand it its box because you don’t know how to use it, the staff at Bremen Public Library is more than willing to teach you how to download our e-material.

E-readers and tablets can be a lot of fun and very convenient. If you can’t sleep at night but don’t have anything to read, an e-reader allows you to browse our electronic library and download a book from the comfort of your own home. If you like to read in bed, but your spouse doesn’t want the lights on, an e-reader provides the backlight needed without disturbing anyone else. You can also make the print as big as you need it and most devices are very lightweight, which is nice for those who have arthritis. I want to invite you to sit down with me for a relaxing chat about these conveniences and the library’s electronic services.

During this one-on-one session, I will guide you through the basic instructions you need to get the most out of your device. I will set you up with Overdrive and Hoopla, the two apps you will need to download books, audiobooks, movies, and music from the library. I'll show you how to browse for the material and walk you through the downloading process.

I understand that these devices might seem intimidating. One of the most common statements I hear from patrons is, “I’m not smart enough for this thing.” Let me assure you, that is not true. Every patron I help with an e-reader could teach me at least five other skills that would be benefit my life. This just happens to be something I can do, and one of my favorite parts of my job is teaching other people how to do it too. I hope I see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment