January 27, 2017

Have You Tried ... ?

Inspirational Suspense


By Shelli Kauffman, head of adult services at Bremen Public Library

My favorite genre to read is suspense, but several years ago I found myself in a conundrum when choosing my next book to read. I ventured onto my well-worn path to the James Patterson and Tess Gerritsen shelves and realized that, while I was looking forward the heart racing intensity of their books, I could no longer stomach the gory details those authors are so skilled at writing. That’s when I discovered my new favorite genre: inspirational suspense.

These novels offer intensity, mystery and spine tingling suspense, but they withhold the specific details of violence, sexual situations and profanity. The novels still deal with mature situations, such as rape, murder and kidnapping, but the authors leave the detailed descriptions of the crimes to the reader’s imagination.

If you have been looking for a clean read that still gets your blood pumping, I recommend you start with Dee Henderson, Irene Hannon, Lynette Eason or DiAnn Mills. Inspirational fiction always has a faith element to it, but I find that these authors do not “preach” their books. They concentrate on character and plot development using realistic dialogue and current events as a back drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment