January 24, 2017

Recommended Read

Good Time Coming


Staff review by Melissa Nunez, adult department assistant at Bremen Public Library

When I chose this title by C.S. Harris, I guess I was expecting something a bit more light and fluffy. I couldn't have been more mistaken. This is an amazing, epic story of the life of women in the South during the Civil War and the severe hardships they endured. The story is told through the voice of 12-year-old Amrie as her eyes are opened to the brutalities of the day.

Today's world sees the Civil War as the pivotal time in history that truly opened the door to our current freedoms. However, being so far removed from it today, we forget (if we ever knew at all) the atrocities committed in the name of freedom and unity. After reading this book, you may find your viewpoint forever changed.

This is truly one of the best books I've read and I expect it to stay with me for a very long time. It's well written, historically accurate (I found myself stopping repeatedly to research battles, facts and histories), and draws you into the story in such a way that you find yourself "living" it. If you enjoy historical fiction, coming of age stories, or women's issues you'll enjoy this book. If you've ever considered reading Gone With The Wind, start here instead. I give this a solid 5 stars.

Click here to see if this book is available for check-out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment