June 9, 2017

Genre Sampler: Cookbooks

Get Cooking!

By Terrie Bickel

The Bremen Public Library has approximately 857 different kinds of cookbooks. For someone like me, who loves to cook, the extreme number of cookbooks is a veritable smorgasbord. I also love to bake, and, of course, love to eat!

Lucky for me, I can be taught how to perfect my hobby by the likes of Rachel Ray, Mr. Food, Sandra Lee, Giada, and of course, Betty Crocker. I can learn to cook Chinese, Italian, German, Mexican, and even American. I can make treats for a wedding, a baby shower, a birthday party, and just your run-of-the-mill potluck. I can slow cook, quick cook, fondue, toast, roast, and barbecue. I can sharpen my preserving skills, whip up a soup and a sandwich, fix a smoothie to go along, and even bake a dessert. I can do lunch, brunch, breakfast, and supper. I can cook my food fresh from the garden, sizzle it in a skillet, or grill it over hot coals. I can be a bacon freak as well as a beer lover.
And should all this loving go straight to my hips, waist, and thighs, as I’m sure it will, I can cook light, low-calorie, low-carb, and gluten-free. Yeah, that’s not going to happen. Those books I’m going to leave on the shelf. We don’t want to ruin my fun.

All that being said, I love the variety we have. (I might have mentioned that). I delight in taking home a new cookbook in hopes of finding a new recipe to try. Sometimes I hit the jackpot, other times I’m not so lucky. What even are saffron threads? But I’m trying to be more adventurous. This summer, I’m going to check out a different cookbook each week and try one new recipe from that book. My first book is Food Fest 365! By Yvan D. Lemoine. I already see "Blondies Have More Fun" and "Kentucky Trailer Taters." How could I go wrong?

To see if this book is currently available for check-out, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment