April 17, 2017

Recommended Read

A Re-visit to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


By Terrie Bickel, Bookkeeper and YA Assistant at Bremen Public Library

My son, who is 9 and in the fourth grade, began reading the Harry Potter series this school year. What began as an attempt to earn Accelerated Reader points has turned into a quest to read the whole series. He has asked me to read them along with him so we can discuss the books. When we finish one, we also reward ourselves by watching the movie, popcorn included of course! As of now, we are on the third book in the series, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

The wildly popular Harry Potter series began in 1997 with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Harry is a young boy whose parents have died and he is living with the Dursleys, horrid relatives who barely tolerate him and force him to sleep in a cupboard under the stairs. Upon his 11th birthday, Harry learns he is actually a wizard, as were his parents. He is invited to attend the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Once there, he makes friends, enemies, and continues to discover more about himself and a life he never knew existed. There are seven books in all, each covering a new year at Hogwarts and, of course, each following Harry and friends along a new adventure. The final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, ends with Harry's graduation and I believe we are even rewarded with a glimpse into life after Hogwarts.

I have read the books before. I was one of many fans who eagerly awaited the next in the series. I would put myself on the hold list at the library and wait impatiently for everyone in front of me to hurry up and finish already! I was sorry to see the series end, but was not disappointed with the way the story wrapped up. When my son asked me to read them along with him, my first thought was "Really? Can't we pick something I haven't already read?" But I have to admit, I'm having fun. It has been long enough since I first devoured them that I have forgotten much of how the storyline went. It's fun hearing my son's perspective and discussing the story with him. I have never been one to watch a movie if I have already read the book, but even that has been enjoyable. I'm sure it's all due to the fact that I now have a partner in crime! I'm so glad he asked me to take this journey with him, what fun my re-visit to Hogwarts has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment