March 15, 2017

Genre Sampler

A few music recommendations


By Chris O'Brien, adult department assistant at Bremen Public Library

I have just a few new music recommendations for you today. All of these titles are available through our library, either on CD or digitally through Hoopla. 

Hamilton, An American Musical and The Hamilton Mixtape

First, I admit I am a little late getting this one out. However, it took me a while to get caught up into the frenzy of it all. But, once I took the time to read the book “Hamilton, the Revolution” by Ron Chernow and  watch the 2-hour special on PBS, called “Hamilton’s America,”  let’s just say I caught the fever and I cannot tell you too many times, that it is, indeed, contagious. Listen to it, I beg you, you will not be sorry. You will be entertained, and you might just also pick up some new facts about our great country’s history. It’s a win-win!!

The Shack - Music from and Inspired by the Original Motion Picture

I read the book some time ago, and I probably will go see the movie. But, me being more of a music buff than a movie buff, the CD, obviously, caught my eye. With songs by the likes of Tim & Faith, Dan & Shay, Kelly Clarkson, Dierks Bentley and For King & Country, I couldn’t resist giving it a listen. Yes, all the songs are inspirational (to be expected), not in a churchy way, but more in a natural, common-sense way. And I must admit that closing any CD with a rousing rendition of Amazing Grace is a deal-closer, at least for me. I hope you give it a listen, I hope you enjoy.

The Breaker by Little Big Town

New release by one of country’s favorites! If you’ve heard any of their previous tunes and liked them, you won’t be disappointed with this one. My personal favorites are "Happy People" and "Free." Listen and get swept away with the peaceful easy feeling of some good melodies and even better lyrics.

Deep South by Josh Turner

We haven’t seen some new music from this country favorite for longer than I would have liked. But, finally, it has arrived. And, at least for me, that deep, Johnny Cash-like voice that won me over initially, still resounds nicely and strikes all the right chords! If your country tastes run a bit right down the middle, if you are a bit of a traditionalist, try a little trip Deep South. You will feel right at home.
     

Brett Young by Brett Young

He’s new. His music is quite mellow, he’s easy on the eyes, and, oh that voice! I found it slightly addictive, in a very good way! I would say it all points to a promising future for this young man. All he has to do is keep up the momentum he puts forth in this, his first CD. If this is what you call “Young Country,” I’m all for it.  

Happy listening to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment